Tuesday 11 May 2010

Further concept art

After the pitch I realised a new confidence in my animation and the style I am persuing. Further more after a chat with my tutor, I have gained a clearer understanding of how I can acheive my strange, wacky stylization with the use of maya. I was guided to watch a similar style of childish fun imagery used in an old cartoon called Roobarb and Custard. This was created by Bob Godfrey, a style which seems to be in a similar legue for how I could expose my own world through animation.



This animation is using simplistic drawings to effect, the characters somewhat are the only colourful feature within the cartoon, which makes the character designs stand out.

I could use a similar technique for my maya based animation, where I could bring a simple colour palette with what would usually be found within a 2d world to 3d. Here are some examples:



  • This image may be peaceful and the scene is understandable, the colours used brighten the image up and display a balance between real world and cartoon. This however, doesnt need to be in existance, as I could create the same scene with a much more simple colour palette. Just like in Roobarb and Custard, the lack of colours for the more unimportant objects will help to further the response to the characters and drive a feeling of being immersed into a diagram of a slime molds life cycle and into a world depicted by my imagination.


  • Heres the same enviroment but in a simple drawn perspective which would appeal to my target audience more. My target audience is children at the age of doing their SAT's exams, which are around 11-12 years old. This would become 3d if the assets in the image, such as the trees, were on seperate planes, with the added lighting, would look like a picture book coming to life.
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment